Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Measuring a year

WARNING:  long, emotional post ahead!

Today marks the one year mark since we arrived here in Kentucky.  It is so hard to believe it's already been a year! This year has flown by, but a lot has happened in the last year as well.  I'm not sure I've ever been so scared in all my life as I was the day I drove into Louisville.  I was nervous, anxious, and terrified about what might lie ahead of us here.  

And now here we are a year later, and so much has happened.  We had our beautiful baby Kaeson here--and he is now nearly 10 months old!  We spent our first Thanksgiving as well as Easter without family.  Parker celebrated his 3rd birthday. I was given the most challenging church calling I ever been given!  We made lasting friendships; some of whom we are lucky enough to spend more time with, others who we miss dearly!  Lance survived his first year of dental school!!!

One of our first weeks at church in our ward here, the Relief Society lesson was on goal setting.  The teacher asked us to right down a few short term goals, long term goals, and steps and a timetable to reaching those goals.  At the time I just kept thinking about how hard the next four years here were going to be.  The only thing I wrote on that sheet of paper was "To learn to be happy here."  At the time it seemed like such a steep mountain to climb, and I fought back tears at the prospect enjoying life here!  Now I can look back at that day and laugh at how silly that goal seems today!

I feel so blessed to call Kentucky home right now. As I sit here righting this, I am getting a little teary eyed thinking of this past year and realizing how much I love it here!  As silly as it sounds, I truly feel like I have grown so much in the last year, and I know I have so much more to learn from our time here.  I have said it before, but I sincerely feel that the Lord sent Lance to school in Louisville for my benefit! We are surrounded by people here that teach me so much, and I pray that while I'm here I learn and grow all that I know I should.

We miss our family every day, and look forward to being closer to them someday, while at the same time hope that our time here doesn't go too quickly.  Thanks to all you who have made this such a great place to live!

10 comments:

Kayc said...

Awwww, that is awesome Tiff. Great post!

Hepworth Family said...

Tiff,
You are braver than I am! I think I would have felt the same way you did in the beginning. What tender mercies from the Lord as he has take you under his wing and helped you to grow through it all. I hope you continue to enjoy your time out east!
~Britt~

Tricia said...

Isn't it funny how we tend to resist the things which eventually bring us much happiness? I experienced something similar with my teaching job...sobbed in the shower my first morning. Like you, now I look back and think how silly it was because it was such a huge blessing! I'm so happy you're enjoying it out there.

Ryan and Ashley said...

Tiffany- I am SO happy that the Lord sent you to Louisville and even more, sent you to our ward! You are such a special girl, and I am so glad that we are friends.

Mike and Kimmy said...

You are making me teary eyed!! Our time there went so fast. It was definitely some of the best years of our lives there! I love Kentucky!!! We miss it! We miss our neighbors so much too!!!

Texie said...

Loved the post. It made me cry and i was at work when i read it:) way to go tiffA!:)LOL. I have the best sis in laws ever. my bros did good. Love ya.

Heather Mills said...

Aw, Tiffany. That makes me sad that it was so hard for you at first but I am so glad that you do love it here. We love having you here! I look forward to three more years with you guys in KY. We need to make the most of it...that 1st year of dental school did go by fast!

Laura Jansson said...

It's nice to take a moment and reflect on anniversaries like this. I'm glad you all are here. ;)

proudmamablogga said...

I like your title for this post. It sounds like you guys are doing amazingly well.

Unknown said...

___________________
Its a good fun thanks for sharing...
___________________
Susana
We do your Marketing for best sales