Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Grown-Up Decisions!!!

I don't have any new pictures to post, because most of the time, we are terrible about getting our camera out, or taking it with us anywhere, so I haven't taken any since the last ones I posted. I do, however, have a lot of thoughts swirling around in my head, so I thought I would try to make some sense of them.  If you don't like to bother reading novel blogs, you should skip this, sorry!  

First of all, I am so excited and overwhelmed to think of moving to Kentucky and starting this new phase in our lives!  This has been a dream of Lance's for so long (and naturally, I have wanted him to have his dreams come true) that it is hard to believe this day is really here.  When April rolls around and nearly every dental school in the country has filled their class, you start to think it's time to move on, and prepare for round two, and then BAM!, it happens!  I can't even describe how proud I am of Lance and his dedication and persistence.  There were definitely times when he called and pestered the schools so much, that I got nervous he was just a nuisance, but I guess he knew what he was doing, and it was so worth it!

I have always been terrified for the day that I would have to move to a strange, big city far away from everything I know and am used to, and I can't lie, I'm scared to death.  But I also have to admit, that the more I think about it, the more the excitement is building.  Four years is really not that long, and I think we are truly in for an adventure of a lifetime.  I'm excited to meet new people, experience new things, and challenge myself a little. 

Along with being excepted, has come an incredible financial burden that I hadn't expected.  Out-of-state tuition at Louisville is outrageous, and we are terrified when we think of going into debt.  So, we have begun to consider something I never thought I would--the military!  It was never something we even thought about it, because neither one of us was at all interested, but now that it's here, Lance is VERY interested!  When he first talked to me about it, I cried, (I'm a baby, i know) but the very idea just made me cry.

As I try to keep a more open mind, I have to admit that it is a hard deal to pass up.  Everything paid for, living expenses, school, the sign- on bonus, and then you owe them 4 years of your life. I don't know.  I don't like the idea of living halfway across the world for 4 years, or not being able to start our lives as soon as we are done with school  the way we had planned, but it also remove a lot of stress that comes with that much debt.  It would undoubtedly make Lance a better dentist when the time comes to start his own practice.  

If anyone is still reading at this point, I would love to know what you think.  Even if you think it's crazy, I want some input and maybe another outlook will help us to make a decision. thanks for reading, although i doubt anyone has made it through.

9 comments:

Em said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog, I like to hear what others think. As for the military, if it weren't for me Daryl would sign up for the same reasons you have listed. I think it offers so many experiences but in the other case it freaks me out to think just maybe we would get sent away from me. I don't have any good insight sense I haven't been there but I know what you are feeling cause I have talked to Daryl about it. I hope all goes well.

Anonymous said...

I make fun of people that write books for blogs...now you are one of them.

Kallee said...

So fun to hear from you Tiff. I must admit it took me a while to figure out who you were:) I love blogging! As for the military...Clay and I are considering the same thing?? Clayton is actually starting the application process right now, so we still have another year of school at USU. Anyway, we are also considering the milatary or air force for all the same reasons. I never thought I would even consider, but the more we talk about it and pray about it the more willing I am to give it a try. Who knows, maybe we could be living in Japan together in four or five years from now?:) Good luck with your decision making. Good to hear from you!

Lauren said...

All I will say, is that when you do move where you're supposed to go, the Lord will take care of you. I know it sounds so cliche, but it's been so true for us. We've been very fortunate to have GREAT wards to move into. It is very hard being away from family, but you grow closer as your own little family, too. :)

Stephanie said...

Believe me when I say I know where you are coming from right now. It was 4 years exactly when we were having the same thoughts. Moving to a new city is soo scary, but you have to make it fun. Its pretty fun to move from podunkville, wyoming to a big city. There is soo much to offer.

Now about the military decision.. Do it!! I WISH we could have. They only allow a certain amount of chiropractors in, so it wasn't a choice for us. But we are now suffering from the debt of school. Jared has 2 full time jobs and I work part time, and we still can't pay all of them. I would do anything to have stuff payed for and not have to be in $200,000 in school loan debt! Yep you read that right a 2 with five zeros!!

Sarah B. said...

Congrats on dental school! It is fun to read your blog, Tiffany!!

Schwab Family said...

Tiff, i did in fact read your whole blog. Congrats on school. I was scared to death to move to washington but it was the best time of my life!! You get to meet new friends, have shopping on every corner. ha ha but best of all it is just you and your little family and that is how people know you. You will do great. Enjoy the adventure you are going to be in!!
By the way i love Parker. Ha ha I hope everything goes ok and you figure everything out.

Edie and Luke said...

Tiff & Lance- This is Edie. I think you should really fast and pray about this decision. It makes me scared to think of you guys so far away and even in a different country. Tiff- I can't imagine you having children in other countries- they do things different there! There may not be drugs and epidurals there! :) I can't imagine that! I wouldn't want to deliver babies without those things!

I know that school will be a lot of money- trust me, my loans are $70,000 and that is just for my Masters, but I'm glad I made the decision to get my degree and could never imagine going to another country or being far away. And, the thing is, the military will look at Lance as a soldier BEFORE he is ever a dentist. That scares me too. We love you guys and will support you in any decision you make, but really, truly pray and fast about this one. I think Luke is going to post something later about this subject too. He will be making good money so you guys can pay off those loans. Yes, debt sucks, but there are certain things like education and a home that it's ok to go into debt for- you guys are smart enough to have a plan and pay off those loans when he is finished. Love you guys both! Edie

KeiserFamily said...

hey tiff, this is dani. so i know this is really old post and i have no idea if you will even see this but i thought i would share with you anyway. We are in the same shoes! we are currently living in wv and paying out of state tuition for medical school. I know it seems scary to look at all the debt but really once you get into school(at least for us) we were so relieved not to have done the millitary route. we figured that despite how rediculously high our tuition is if we lived under our means after school for a few years we could pay off our debt and still be able to start our lives in a place WE decided on.. being close to family was just too important to us. im sure things will work out either way. congratulations by the way and good luck.. its a heck of a road but i just keep telling myself that someday this will all be worth it and hopefully THEN money wont be such a stress:)