Saturday, April 25, 2009

Thunder Over Louisville!!

Louisville has a HUGE fireworks show to kick off all the Derby Festivities and it is AMAZING! It is said to be the biggest fireworks show in all of North America!  We decided to go down early and make a whole day of it.  They do a cool Air Show all afternoon and evening up until the fireworks start.  We got there about one o'clock and with our friends, the Clowards, saved a spot for all our friends coming down later.  It was a really long day, but so worth it!  The weather was beautiful, and it was so fun to just hang out in the sun all day--even though the crowds were crazy.  They estimate there were 700,000 people there this year!

Reagan and Heather Mills, Ella, Clowards, Wyatts, and Riches.  Just a few of the people who met us down there.  It's a miracle that we were able to meet up with everyone through all the people, but we did it!
Another pic of the group.  I missed Cattrons in the left corner, sorry!  I told Brad to turn around so I didn't get a shot of his butt, but I guess he wanted a picture of it, cause he didn't move fast enough!  Sorry Brad
A shot of the people around us.  This doesn't even begin to show the people lined all along the waterfront.  There  are even more across the River on the Indiana side. You can see people covering their ears, because the planes were deafeningly loud!
Kaeson and his buddy Austin
Heather, Tyler, and Chelsea. (and Dax running around behind them.
Parker liked the fireworks, but he hates loud noises, so I got some awesome cuddles through the whole show.   I don't blame him for not liking the noise, because it is insanely loud; hence the name Thunder!  And miraculously, Kaeson slept through the whole show!  
Mills' shared their Doritos with Parker, oops!
Megan and Ella.  We watch Ella once a week, and we love her!  Her and Parker have so much fun together.  Ella is so sweet!
Just a cute shot of Kaeson.  He also loved the day in the sun, and as usual, he was such a trooper.  It was a long day for such a little guy, but he was great! 

The fireworks got over at 10, and we got home at 12:15!  It took an hour and a half to get from our parking spot to the freeway that was only two blocks away!  It was insane!  Luckily both kids slept the whole time!  I can honestly say that even though the traffic was so bad, it was worth it and we will definitely go again next year if the weather allows.  We are more educated now about the best places to park!

We tried to take pictures, but our camera does not take pictures well of fireworks.  Megan got some good pictures and even a few video clips of the show if you want to see.  They don't even begin to capture the magic of the show, because nothing can, but it's a glimpse. You have to see the real show to appreciate it!

4 comments:

Heather Mills said...

Good pics! We will have to do this again next year. I hope Thunder lived up to all the hype Jerrel and I gave it! It's our favorite time of year here in Louisville.

Milmonster said...

That sounds like a blast. I like the doritos picture the best.

Maria said...

I can't get over how much hair Kaeson has! It's so cute!!!

Laura Jansson said...

How fun! I can't believe how many friends you got in one area together! What a perfect day for Thunder--wish we were there!